Add This

Monday, December 11, 2006

Are we done with toys?

Yesterday I took the boys to Crocker Park to jostle their brains a bit about Christmas gifts. They have never been big "I want" kids and that can make gift-giving challenging. The answer this year has been, "I don't know" or in Ryan's case, "Minutes" for his phone that my sister got him for his birthday.

Suffice to say our trip was a success in that I now have a good idea of what I will get them this year. But as we were driving home it hit me — we're really past the days of toys.

Michael was my last hope, but this year it's all about sports and video games. His original list contained a bunch of football jerseys. I had to explain that you can't "play" with jerseys. He has since revised (several times) and included a few toy-ish items.

But another sign that we're getting older is looming even larger. Michael still believes in Santa…for now. However, he's asking all the questions that are tell-tale signs not believing.

How does Santa deliver all those presents in one night?

How does Santa get ready for Christmas is he's at the mall?

How can Santa be in more than one place?

How will he know which tree to put our presents under (we have two)?

Ryan and Patrick have been great about keeping the magic alive for him, but I fear that won't be enough after this Christmas. How short-lived is that time...

No comments: