Add This

Friday, September 09, 2005

Real women have curves

Okay, gotta love when you get a new pair of jeans and they slip on and hug in all the right places like they were meant for you alone. That’s not a common occurrence for a woman with curves, especially given the cut of today’s jeans. But I’ve found victory, baby! And for the low, low price of $20!

Had my morning meeting cancelled, so I spent an hour at Crocker Park. Of course I spent most of that time at Barnes & Noble. Picked up what looks to be a terrific book by Paulo Coelho called, “The Zahir: A Novel of Obsession.” His book, “The Alchemist” is one of my all-time favorites. Also picked up, upon recommendation by my good pal, Robin, “The Other Boleyn Girl,” by Philippa Gregory. Could have bought so much more, but I resisted — for now.

While I was at B & N I found I book I read last year that was pretty good, but lingers in my mind because it contained one of the most beautifully haunting passages about one man’s desire for closeness. The character begins by remembering a child’s microscope set he had and he talks about the miniscule space between the glass slide containing a drop of liquid and the plastic cover. The slide and the cover never really touch because the liquid separates them. While making ravenous love with a woman he then wonders: “Is this as close as two humans get?"

His frustration and hunger and need nearly made me cry. I've never forgotten that picture or his response. It's kind of like Linda Lohman (Willy's wife) screaming, "Attention must be paid." Just stays with you.

And as I was walking out of the store, I spotted a beautiful travel book of Tuscany. And so I thumbed through daydreaming of the hills of Umbria. Some day... some day...

No comments: