Add This

Monday, September 20, 2004

The urge to bake

Can’t believe I hauled out my little space heater today and it’s not yet October. I have a little problem with poor circulation and incredibly cold feet. The temperature need only dip into the 60s and I’m in need of some wool socks. But I’m not complaining. No sir. Fall is my absolute favorite time of year.

Once I was able to muster up the courage this morning to leave my bed, I sprinted to the closet to grab my favorite oversized Irish sweater. Could practically see my breath when I let the dog out today. But I’m not complaining.

I’m ready to dig out the down comforter, put the sandals away for another season, throw on a fuzzy warm sweater and take a walk with the dog. This is my time of year. I’m completely energized by the crisp air, and (soon) the changing colors of the leaves. Today is an ideal day for apple picking. Too bad I have much work to do. I’ll have to settle for an apple for lunch instead.

Fall reconnects me with my kitchen, good news all around for my family. I have an overwhelming urge to bake (went so far as to buy ingredients). I may need to open a bottle of wine and whip up some seafood risotto this weekend. Can’t make a really fine risotto without the ritual of sipping on a glass of wine. Maybe I’ll surprise the boys by baking some cookies (and not the slice-and-bake variety).



No comments: