Add This

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Universal truths

When I started this blog nearly two months ago, I really wasn't sure what I would write about. I guess mostly I just wanted it to have a point and to resist the urge to rant. Quite accidently, though, it has become my primary outlet for relaying my innermost thoughts. And though I've always wondered who else would care about those thoughts as much as I, it's clear from the feedback I'm receiving that I've touched on some nerves. The most popular, by far, is the need for a solo retreat.

Creative Ink has really become more about the struggle between family and work. I didn't set out to write a mommy blog, but that is such a large part of my life that it profoundly impacts all that I do. Creative Ink is about journey, experiences, satisfying the soul and how to do all that while taking care of a family AND being true to yourself. It seems nearly impossible. And yet I find the struggle infinitely gratifying.

I'm learning that I'm not alone and there's a certain measure of comfort in knowing that's true. I've heard from many female colleagues who are moved to write to me about how I've managed to get inside their head. I haven't really, it's just that I've touched on some universal truths. And I've somehow mustered the courage to write it down. NOT an easy task.

My cousin's wife, Laura O'Brien sent me a beautiful card about a month ago. "You make being a stay-at-home mom sound like a dignified, professional career! Keep writing and inspiring. Love, Laura." You have to know Laura. She's not simply a stay-at-home mom. She's also an artist and member of a cooperative gallery, Silverthorne Gallery in Rocky River.

Another colleague, Paris Wolfe who is also a mother of two boys and freelance writer sent this last week: "I'm supposed to be working, but got lost on the web for a few moments. One thought led to another and somehow I stumbled on Creative Ink. I started reading and wondered what you were doing in my head. Beautiful writing in your posts. Take care and thanks for the inspiration, Paris."

And this came from mom last week. I know it's self-serving to include her, but my mom has a way of communicating that speaks to many women: "The journal dated 4/23/04 'Meeting of the Mind and Heart' made me want to shout with joy from the roof top. You have made the turn. I'm not sure how we as individuals permitted certain demons like fear, insecurity, etc to overtake who we really want to be. And I'm not sure when it took control. Maybe gradually without being fully aware it was happening. For the most part, life is good." How right you are, mom.

Just last night, my friend Jill Miller Zimon wrote, "My walls must have ears - and they're yours or your husband's" in response to yesterday's entry. I know of few writers who don't get carried away, lost in their projects. It's nice to be reminded that sometimes we need to get back in touch with the very things that inspire us most.

Like so many other women today, I continue to press on, searching for balance, being true to myself and making sure I'm here for my family. It's all about persistence over the long haul. In fact, I'm reminded of the saying my dad always had hanging in his office. When we left home, he made sure each of us had a framed copy:

Press On
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men (or women!) with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.



No comments: