Add This

Friday, January 04, 2008

Hope picks up the torch

Who knows where this presidential race will lead in November? But if last night was any indication of the future, I can't help but be excited.

As I've argued with my Dad, I believe a generational change in leadership is required more than a gender change. And I think that's what you saw last night in the Democratic Iowa Caucuses as Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) won with 38 percent of the vote.

The status quo is not acceptable. While I think Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY) is an extremely intelligent and capable woman, I think she (and many others on the Democratic ticket) represent more of the same. In my adult life (since 1988 when I was 21) I have experienced:

Bush
Clinton
Clinton
Bush
Bush

That's 20 years of the same two families in office. And that represents, for me anyway, the status quo.

Obama's message has done something that probably hasn't been seen in American presidential politics since John F. Kennedy and probably Bobby Kennedy—he has invigorated young voters.

To have voters of all ages and backgrounds turn out in record numbers in early January to participate in an archaic caucus system signals that a torch has been passed and that the tide is turning.

"Our time for change has come."

No comments: