Add This

Friday, April 08, 2005

Lists

I'm a compulsive list maker. I get it honestly. My mother is the queen (and dad is not too shabby either). Visit to my parent's home and you'll undoubtedly find all manner of Post-It notes stuck to the kitchen cabinet nearest the phone, calendar and junk drawer.

The best part is reading what's on her list: Call kids (hee, hee), bank, taxes, paint moulding, fertilize lawn. She's also the woman who, like my grandmother as well, writes out her menu for major holiday dinner right down to the rolls and beverages. Why leave anything to chance? Wouldn't want to forget to the jello salad in the fridge.

Anyway, the reason I bring up lists is that I'm feeling pretty kick butt today because I've crossed everything off my list. The last remaining item was "blog" and, well, here I am. This has been quite a week of lists. Tons of work, many details on which to follow up. But the best part is the week is over, sort of.

I'll be speaking tomorrow morning to a group of young journalists as part of SPJ's Sharper Your Skills workshop. I'll join my two favorite cohorts — Jay Miller and John Ettorre talking about reporting.

So have a great weekend and with any luck we'll be able to get outside for a spell, where true to my mother's form, I'll have a whole other list.

No comments: