What that tells you is forget doing long stories for newspaper web sites. No one is reading them, because no one is spending enough time to do so. In fact, forget these as markets. When the New York Times web site is getting under 14,000 unique visitors a month, something is definitely going wrong. Even if it's getting five times that number, this is bad news.The top five newspapers and their page views and average time per visit for the six-month period between March and August 2007 are:
Site / # Page Views Per Month / Average Time Per Visit Per Month
1. New York Times / 13,857 / 20 min. 20 sec.
2. Washington Post / 11,682 / 14 min. 14 sec.
3. USA Today / 9,186 / 10 min. 57 sec.
4. Wall Street Journal / 8,337 / 9 min. 55 sec.
5. Los Angeles Times / 4,992 / 12 min. 34 sec.
32. The Plain Dealer / 989 / 10 min. 55 sec.