Add This

Monday, August 20, 2007

Judy Blume still rules

It's good to read that Judy Blume is still writing. She carved her way into my readerly heart at a young age. * (Original info deleted)

My mom reminded me that I read "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret," in one day while lying atop our backyard picnic table. I never put the book down — not even when I ate or went to the bathroom.

Later that summer, I discovered "Forever" in my mom's dresser drawer. Of course, at 12 I wasn't allowed to read it, but I would sneak the book out and would carefully (not breaking the spine) hide in my parents' walk-in closet to devour the story of teenage sexual awakening.

* Thanks to Dawn's comment, I realized I mixed up my childhood authors and included info about Ramona, which was Beverly Cleary NOT Judy Blume. Thanks, Dawn!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Wait! Ramona is Beverly Cleary. :)

Wendy A. Hoke said...

Oh my God, Dawn, you are right!!! I'm mixing up my childhood authors.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Judy Blume.

(sigh)

"we must, we must, we must increase our bust"