Add This

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Rituals before writing

Author Toni Morrison in my new desk calendar "The Writer's Desk" on waking before the dawn as part of her writing process.

Writers all devise ways to approach the place where they expect to make the contact, where they become the conduit, or where they engage in this mysterious process. For me, light is the signal in the transition. It's not being in the light, it's being there before it arrives. It enables me, in some sense.

Do you have a writing ritual?

I need a clear desk and lots of light. The background noise of either softly playing classic music, a fan or my space heater sharpens my concentration. Gloomy days like today are ripe for writing.

1 comment:

Jeff Hess said...

Shalom Wendy,

My ritual is very similar. I rise at 4:45 a.m. and do 30 minutes of sitting meditation, then I start the coffee and deal with my morning ablutions. I'm dressed and ready to write at 6 a.m.

Dark rainy days are the best. I write very differently when it's nice out.

B'shalom,

Jeff