Add This

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Who is Deep Throat?

Never let it be said that journalists don’t know how to have a good time, granted my husband would say it’s a geeky sort of amusement.

His digs aside, even he had to admit this poll from Editor & Publisher is just good fun. Readers are asked to guess the identity of Deep Throat, the most infamous journalistic source in memory. Among the early favorites — an ailing U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice William Rehnquist and former President Gerald Ford.

E&P’s Greg Mitchell writes that former Nixon staffer John Dean’s op-ed in the L.A. Times earlier this week and the release of the Woodward & Bernstein archives last week has touched off the feeding frenzy of speculation. Among Dean’s assertions: Deep Throat is ailing and that former Washington Post Executive Editor Ben Bradlee has already written his obituary.

This event and its players certainly pre-dates me. I was 5 years old in 1972. But I’ll never forget not even being able to blink when first watching “All the President’s Men.” If I had any doubts about my chosen profession, that movie chased them away. I still have my very yellowed, tattered paperback copy of Woodward & Bernstein’s book by the same name.

So who else is in the running? Former President George H. W. Bush, Alexander Haig, William Safire and even actor Hal Holbrook, who played Deep Throat in the movie version. Apparently Holbrook did a dead-on impersonation of Deep Throat, according to Woodward, with the chain smoking and angry attitude. Too bad Bob, Carl and Ben, you’re ineligible in the voting. Who's your pick?

1 comment:

Jeff Hess said...

Shalom Wendy,

More than 20 years ago I was present when Ben Bradlee discussed Deep Throat. With all the renewed interest of late I’ve put my recollections of that conversation in Deep Throat….

It will be interesting to see if we actually feel the issue is settled once this obituary is published.

B’shalom,

Jeff